WHAT CAN STAY LEFT HAND DRIVE?
NZTA has certain criteria for different vehicle types & vehicle ages.
If it's over 20 years old it may stay LHD unless it has a gross vehicle weight over 3500 kg.
Diesel pickups are almost always too heavy to stay LHD, regardless of age. 3500 series trucks are always too heavy. 2500 series trucks are usually to heavy.
LATE MODEL CARS (Not vans, SUVs, pickups etc)
If a car meets certain criteria, it may remain LHD:Pre requisite - they must not be available RHD anywhere worldwide & then meet 3 of 4 criteria points below:
- Be a 2-door coupe or convertible
- Be a high performance vehicle
- Have annual production of under 20,000 units of that sub model
- Be noted as a collectors item in commercial publications
Given the CAR meets the criteria, the applicant / owner must:
- Be a NZ citizen or resident
- Have not been issued a similar permit in the prior 2 years
- Not use the car for commercial purposes
- Retain ownership for at least 4 years
## Buy a late model LHD car from us & we will take care of EVERYTHING for you ##
LATE MODEL TRUCKS, VANS AND SUV's
In almost every instance, these vehicles must be converted to RHD unless they are over 20 years old.
All vehicles advertised on this this site will be able to stay LHD, unless otherwise stated.
If in doubt, please check with the rule makers - New Zealand Land Transport (NZTA).
The Westcoast Classics Team